We would like to thank our members for their patience and understanding during the recent unexpected shut-down of our facilities. Being advised of a possible exposure of staff to Covid-19, while low risk, warranted a shut-down to protect the health of our members and to contain any possibility of spreading the virus. While there are staff members self isolating, they have not tested positive for Covid-19 at this time. The risk of exposure to members that visited the facilities in the 14 days prior to our shut-down was determined to be extremely low due to our Covid-19 protocols in place. With the recent upsurge in cases and the virus spreading within the community, the following is an update on our facilities effective Monday, February 15th, 2021:
Union Office & Benefits Office
The main Union office and Benefits office will remain closed to members and the general public until further notice. Staff will be on-site to maintain business operations. Should public health officials enact an emergency measure to require businesses to close, our business continuity plan will allow for business operations to continue remotely. Once again, we are asking members to move towards online interaction during this time.
myUA: Your myUA member account or myUA Mobile App offer you a safe and reliable way to:
- Pay Union Dues
- Bid on Jobs
- Sign up for available Training Courses
- Access Safety Tickets (myUA App only)
More information on your myUA account and App can be found here: https://www.ualocal740.ca/mobile-app/
Job Line: 709-747-8428
While we encourage members to use their myUA account or App to bid on jobs, if you are unable to do so, please call the job line after 4:30 pm daily for updates on available jobs (if any) and to bid on jobs that are suitable for your trade.
If you are unable to make your dues payment through your myUA account or App, you may also pay dues by one of the following methods:
- Calling the office and paying by credit card
- Mailing your payment: UA Local 740, PO Box 547, Centennial Squire, Mount Pearl, NL, A1N 2W4
- In-person payments may be dropped in our drop box (accessible from the outside of the building). Please put the payment in an envelope with your name and Union card number on the front.
For more information or if you require assistance, please contact Rosemary Miller at the office 709-747-2249 x305; cell number 709-687-6173; or email [email protected]
Self paying members are required to make their monthly self payment if they wish to remain insured. Members may self pay using the following options (noted on the second page of the self payment notice):
- Online Banking
- Calling the benefits office and paying by credit card
- Mailing your payment: UA Local 740 Benefits Office, PO Box 156, Mount Pearl, NL, A1N 2C2
- In-person payments may be dropped in our drop box. Please put the payment in an envelope with your name and Union card number on the front.
MyManion: Insured members are encouraged to sign up for their myManion account for online claim submission. The myManion portal and mobile applications offer you a safe and reliable way to interact with your plans and ensure claims payments are as quick as possible. You can also access your digital benefit card, check your dollar bank balance, work history, benefits booklet, annual statements, and other items.
- To submit a claim on myManion: My Claims > Submit Claim. A group health claim form is not required when health claims are submitted through your myManion account. Dental claims do require a Standard Dental Claim form completed by your dental office.
- To check your dollar bank balance on myManion: My Benefits > My Trust Balances. Divide the Welfare Bank balance by the current monthly deduction rate of 275 to determine the remaining months of coverage. The maximum number of coverage months your dollar bank can provide is 12.
To obtain a user ID and password, or if you have forgotten your user ID or password, please contact Leslie Wells, at the office 709-747-2249 x308; cell 709-685-7769, or email [email protected].
Email: Insured members may submit claims by email to: [email protected]. You MUST include a completed and signed group health claim form or standard dental claim form as part of your claim.
Fax: Insured members may also submit claims by fax to: Manions Claims Centre – 416-234-2071. You MUST include a completed and signed group health claim form or standard dental claim form in your fax. Group Health Claim Forms can be found on UA Local 740’s Website: https://www.ualocal740.ca/member-resources/. Standard Dental claim forms are available at your dental office.
In-Person: Members in the vicinity of the UA Local 740 Office Building may drop claims in the drop box accessible from the outside of the building.
Enrolment Forms/Life Insurance Claims/Letters of Student Proof/Other Administrative Documents
In an effort to avoid service disruptions, enrolment/change forms, life insurance claims, letters of student proof, and all other administrative documents that are needed for the ongoing administration of the Health & Welfare benefit program may be submitted as follows:
- By Fax: 709-747-1235
- By Email: [email protected] For tips on scanning documents using a smartphone or tablet, https://www.ualocal740.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Notice-E-documents-April-3-2020.pdf
- In-person using the drop box accessible from outside the building.
Enrolment/Change forms can be found on UA Local 740’s Website: https://www.ualocal740.ca/member-resources/
UA Welding Shop
The Welding Shop will be open for scheduled testing only, no drop-ins or visits from members or the general public. The following Covid-19 protocols MUST be adhered to when entering the welding shop:
- A mask is mandatory and it must be worn over the nose and mouth at all times, except when inside the welding booth.
- You will be provided a date and time for your welding test (practice time will be included). Please do not show up early or you will have to wait in your vehicle with no access to the facility. If you miss your scheduled time, it will be rescheduled for a later date.
- Welders are required to bring their own PPE including hard hat, welding shield, safety glasses, gloves, and respirator where necessary. Items may not be shared.
- Once inside the building, you must maintain physical distancing of 6 feet from other welders, staff and/or the inspector. No roaming to other parts of the building except to the designated bathrooms. The lunch room is closed.
Please call or text Bob O’Neill at 709-771-3840 to arrange for testing.
UA Training Centre
The UA Training Centre is not open to the general public and members are not allowed to drop in. Only those who are scheduled for a class will be permitted to enter the building (provided their questionnaire is completed and they are approved for entry). A mask is mandatory and it must be worn over the nose and mouth at all times. More detailed information will be shared with students prior to arriving.
Only safety training may continue at this point with limited class size and strict adherence to Covid-19 protocols.
The GovNL guidelines for Worker/Workplace Safety Training can be found here: https://www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19/information-sheets-for-businesses-and-workplaces/guidelines-for-worker-workplace-safety-training/
Cancelled classes will be rescheduled as soon as possible.
For training related assistance, please contact Bruce Gillingham at the office 709-747-5947; or email [email protected]
We ask that you respect and follow our safety measures to ensure the well being of your fellow members and staff. The above operations are subject to change depending on emergency measures enacted by public health officials.
Let’s Talk About Mental Health
If you are feeling a heightened level of stress, anxiety or fear and you feel overwhelmed or concerned that it is affecting your ability to care for yourself or your family, ask for help. Reach out to a family member, friend, or one of the following services for assistance:
- Member Family Assistance Program (MFAP) – 1-866-448-9444. A confidential, no cost, support service provided through the RDTC/NLBTC Members Trust for UA Local 740 members and their immediate family.
- Bridge the Gapp offers many free services to support you and your wellbeing – bridgethegapp.ca
- The Provincial CHANNAL Warm Line at 1-855-753-2560 from 9:00 am to 12:00 am. If you are feeling isolated and alone, please reach out and speak with a trained mental health peer supporter.
- Mental Health Crisis Line at 1-888-737-4668 available 24 hours a day or contact the Crisis Text service by texting 686868
- If it is an urgent or life-threatening situation, call 911.
We will continue to monitor the outbreak and will update you as the situation evolves or when changes are necessary to align with Federal and Provincial Government directives. We wish you and your loved one’s health and safety during this challenging time. Please do your part to reduce the spread and stay well.