COVID-19 and Your Mental Health
COVID-19 has disrupted our normal daily lives. People and health care systems around the world are facing unprecedented and challenging times. We are faced with the new reality of social distancing, self-quarantining and isolation in order to protect public health and safety. We are standing 6 feet apart from each other, working virtually from our homes, and avoiding face-to-face visits with our extended family and friends. It is not uncommon to feel stress or anxiety during times of uncertainty such as with this pandemic. These new circumstances may lead some individuals into heightened symptoms of anxiety and depression. Ask for help if you feel overwhelmed or concerned that COVID-19 is affecting your ability to care for yourself or your family.
- Member Family Assistance Program (MFAP) – 1-866-448-9444. A confidential, no cost, support service provided through the RDTC/NLBTC Members Trust for UA Local 740 members and their immediate family.
- Bridge the Gapp offers many free services to support you and your well being – www.bridgethegapp.ca
- The Provincial CHANNAL Warm Line at 1-855-753-2560 from 9:00 am to 12:00 am. If you are feeling isolated and alone, please reach out and speak with a trained mental health peer supporter.
- Mental Health Crisis Line at 1-888-737-4668 available 24 hours a day or contact the Crisis Text service by texting 686868
- If it is an urgent or life-threatening situation, call 911.
Mental Health and Wellness Resources (from gov.nl.ca – COVID-19 Information):
- Bridge The Gapp online mental health resources: https://www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19/files/Bridge-the-Gapp-online-mental-health-resources.pdf
- E-Mental Health Services: https://www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19/files/E-Mental-Health-Services.pdf
- Managing Stress During the Pandemic: https://www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19/files/Managing-Stress-During-the-Pandemic.pdf
- Supporting Children: https://www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19/files/Taking-Care-During-Difficult-Times_Children-1.pdf
We will continue to monitor the impacts of COVID-19 and will update you as the situation evolves or when changes are necessary to align with Federal and Provincial Government directives.
We wish you and your loved ones health and wellness during this challenging time. Please do your part to reduce the spread and stay well.
The Board of Trustees
Bob Fiander, Chairman; Leslie Wells, Administrator
UA Local 740 Benefit Trust Funds